Tour de Blake -- September 24th, 2005
Dear Friends -
The First Tour de France in 1903 was staged because of a feud between two French newspapers. Only 15 riders signed up until the prize money was substantially increased.
The First Boston Marathon in 1897 drew 15 runners, who were considered mad by their contemporaries.
The First Tour de Blake will be held on Saturday, September 24, 2005, and although it may not end up writing history as these events eventually did, it will be a fun ride!
A non-competitive Bicycle Tour of the Blake campuses.
- Celebrate Reunion/Homecoming and Survivorship
- Visit Blake’s campuses and wonderful communities
- Show support for Cancer Survivorship and the Lance Armstrong Foundation (LAF)
- HAVE FUN CYCLING!
(We will ride together as a Peloton) The route is very bike friendly. Ride the whole Tour or jump in and ride a stage or two!
Stage 1: Blake Hopkins Campus to Blake Highcroft Campus (Approx. 9 miles)
- (Lightly traveled roads.)
- Depart Hopkins: 8:00 AM
Stage 2: Blake Highcroft Campus to Blake Northrup Campus (Approx. 12 miles)
- (Half lightly traveled roads and half paved trails.)
- Arrive and regroup: 8:45-9:00 AM
- Depart Highcroft: 9:00 AM
Stage 3: Blake Northrup Campus to Blake Hopkins Campus (Approx. 8 miles)
- (Almost entirely on paved trails.)
- Arrive and regroup 9:45-10:00 AM
- Depart Northrup: 10:00 AM
Finish: Blake Hopkins Campus
- Helmets are required at all times.
- Ride single file and obey all traffic laws.
- Safety instructions will be given at each campus before departing.
- Between campuses this is an unsupported ride so bring water/sports drink bottles and an energy bar.
If you would like more information about Cancer Survivorship or to support the Lance
Armstrong Foundation please visit www.laf.org or the Jim Owens LAF Page.
Please contact me if you have any questions. See you at Blake!